photo from 2009 trip to Bryce Canyon National Park









Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Due Date

It is October 12th-my supposed due date. I was thinking a few weeks ago that I may be writing a blog saying that the due date came and went with not too much excitement-but the exciting part is that our baby boy came a few days early!

On Friday October 8th Caleb Benjamin Hoffman was born at 9:03pm weighing in at 8lbs 3oz and a length of 20.5 inches. For those interested in the labor story, here is the brief version. On Thursday night around 10:30pm I started having painful contractions. Before too long I noticed the time between each was getting shorter and each one getting a little worse. By 4:00am the contractions were about 3 minutes apart so we started to get ready to head into the hospital. We got to the hospital around 5:30 and found out I was about 6 or 7 cm dilated so they got us right into a labor and delivery room. It seemed things were progressing quickly and that the baby would be here before we knew it, but we ended up "passively" laboring until 5:00pm. At that time I started to push-again thinking that it wouldn't take too long-but I had to push for 4 hours before Caleb made his arrival.

Our stay in the hospital was pretty uneventful, although a nurse was a little concerned that Caleb looked a little jaundice (but his blood work indicated he wasn't). We were able to go home on Sunday. We are so happy to be home and able to get into our own routine and sleep in our own beds! Today has already had a particularly "large" milestone for us at home-Caleb had his first poop (after all the meconium he pooped at delivery at least). It is pretty funny that we were so excited about it-but the nurses and doctors were slightly concerned that he hadn't pooped since delivery. So it seems all systems are a go! Also Andy happened to catch this diaper so it was the first poopy diaper he had ever changed in his life.

Ok enough of the boring stuff...I'll post a few pictures from the first few days of this guys existence.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Erica and Andy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So precious! We can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete